£0.00 - £115000 per annum
Service Mesh Engineer
Location: London Salary: Up to £115,000 Sponsorship Available
I'm working with one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and they're on a mission to make money without borders the new normal. They now have over 10 million customers worldwide and counting. Platform teams support the mission by building solid foundations for engineers to build on. They are primarily looking for a Service Mesh Engineer with a Micro Services focus to join their core network connectivity team.
This team defines my client's core networking, develops, and operates their Envoy-based service mesh on top of Kubernetes. Other teams contribute to this to ensure that hundreds of distributed Micro Services can communicate reliably and securely with each other.
The networking stack encompasses AWS fundamentals, ingress and egress stack, and the clients Envoy-based service mesh - the latter instrumented by their custom Java-based service mesh control plane. They need to strike the right level of abstraction for new features, while keeping existing users and possible migration paths in mind.
My clients operate on a strong belief in automation, programmatic implementation, and reusable design. They are looking for people who can step back and think holistically about the ecosystem, but also follow through and help implement the design, taking advantage of the available resources across the rest of the platform tribe.
- Extend the service mesh to various workloads across diverse environments
- Rebuild the ingress and egress pipelines using reliable L4 and L7 proxies
- Develop the Java-based mesh control plane further
- Contribute upstream to the Envoy project
- Participate in a team on-call rotation
- Proficiency in Java coding, Testing, and Production aspects
- Reading familiarity with Golang and/or C++ (writing won't hurt either!)
- Kubernetes Micro Services and Networking experience
- Networking protocols from L3 to L7 & application-level concerns.
- Troubleshooting system & Networking troubles on the Linux command line
Nice To Have
- Experience operating reliable software based L4 and L7 proxies (e.g., Envoy, Nginx)
- Experience with eBPF-based packet filtering and tooling
- Familiarity with transport layer security and certificate management
- Must be able to work efficiently in a team to bring projects to completion.
- You must be a strong communicator, both written and verbally.
- You must be driven to automate manual operations.
- You must think about risks, security, and reliability.
- You must be open to both mentoring others as well as learning from them.
- You must look for opportunity to add impact and challenge the norm.
What You Get:
- Competitive base salary
- Generous stock options package
- Personal development budget and access to courses
- And lots of other awesome benefits…
If you are interested in this role or know anyone who might be then please contact me on 01174090748 or email me via